Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Beautiful Life

My mom is dying. Quickly, and without much time to process thought or emotion. Just two short weeks ago, we learned that the breast cancer she was diagnosed with two years ago had metastasized and was now in her lungs, bones, blood, brain, and face. She has a pathetic looking tumor in her cheek that has caused her face to swell up and her eye to become shut. Besides this physical manifestation and the fact that she is exhausted, you would never know. The kids and I got to spend last weekend, Mother's Day, with my mom for probably the last time. She is fading fast. Hospice came today and upped her pain medication, and she has stopped eating, so she will be gone soon. Tears are streaming down my face as I type, a curious mix of raw emotion and rational thought. My mama has not had the easiest life, and this is a hard ending. Through it all, though, her faith has never once wavered and I have never heard her question her lot. She has always been a great example of finding joy in any circumstance. I am so thankful for all of the years I did get to spend with her.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Summer...I'm so sorry. I'm praying for you guys. Love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maegan. Just trying to process some of what I'm feeling and get it out. :o)

      Delete